Monday, October 3, 2011

HIV/AIDS


HIV/AIDS is an ongoing problem in the world we live in.  While it may not be as much of an epidemic here in the United States as in other foreign countries, HIV/AIDS claims the lives of 1.8 million people annually. 
         Since the epidemic began, it is estimated that the disease has affected over 65 million people, worldwide; this is equivalent to nearly 1% of the world’s population.
          While HIV/AIDS has never affected me directly, it infected a family member in 2005.  This, in and of itself, prompted me to educate myself about the disease and take part in charity organizations and events raising money to work towards a cure.  I have found this knowledge to be extremely useful, especially now that I am in college where many students are sexually active and do not take the necessary protective precautions to prevent the spread of the disease.  This knowledge has helped insure that I will not be one of the 3 million people each year who become infected with the disease.
         

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is well written and alarming to read the facts that you have included. I would change the color of your writing however because I had to highlight the whole blog just to read it. Other than that, I think you did a good job :)

    ReplyDelete